Thursday, January 9, 2014

New Year's Eve!

I know I have so much to catch up on (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc), but I figured I'd start with something that no one has seen pictures of yet. New Year's Eve at Bear Mountain!

I had wanted to visit Bear Mountain for my birthday, but it unfortunately hadn't worked out. However, New Year's Eve there surpassed what my bday could have been and has started a new tradition!

"Situated at the base of Bear Mountain and overlooking the shores of Hessian Lake, our historic hotel, built in 1915, is the centerpiece of a unique park system that stretches from the edge of New York City through the Hudson Valley. As one of the earliest rustic-style lodges built to take advantage of a natural setting, Bear Mountain Inn and Overlook Lodge is a fabulous contemporary of the National Park Lodges."

Amy and I decided that the best way to go about spending New Year's Eve at Bear Mountain would be to rent an entire stone cottage ($50 a night, per person! How is that possible??). This way, we could fit up to 12 people in one private cottage.

"Traditional Stone Cottages are perfect for anyone looking for a rustic, mountain cabin experience.  Go 'off the grid' for family vacations, wedding parties, or someone just wanting the authentic state park experience.  Each of our four stone cottages is complete with a cozy front porch and a common living area with wood-burning fireplace,  microwave, mini-refrigerator and dry bar. The common area connects six individual guest rooms that each have a queen-size bed, private bath, and 32" television. Reserve one bedroom or the entire cottage.  Each Cottage is ADA Accessible."

A few nights before, Amy and I went to Costco to stock up on all the essentials - croissants, rolls, ham, cheese, cheezits, oreos (the important foods), etc. Our good friend Mike rented a car and we planned our escape from the city on NYE. The drive up was about an hour, not far at all. And very much worth it!


The lobby at the Overlook Lodge, where we checked into our cabin. Love it.
They embrace the "bear mountain" theme and it's perfect!
When we arrived, it was snowing (and so dark, I could see ALL of the stars)!
Very dark walk to our cabin. 
Bedroom! How amazing is that bedspread and headboard?
Great sized room - I could see people staying here for a week.
The huge wood burning fireplace that we were so excited for!
Love it.
Amy and Katherine, in the "common are" aka living room.
Brian and I sitting in front of the fire.
The ladies! Katherine, Monica, and Amy.
Ivan, Monica's boyfriend, popping our champagne in preparation.
Ivan was a trooper - he flew in from California in the afternoon and made it all the way up to Bear Mountain to join us!

For the countdown, we all crowded in one bedroom to watch the ball drop and drink champagne from our plastic Costco flutes. Perfect way to start the New Year's!

The next morning, on our front porch!
I LOVE this.
Brian standing at the back of the cabin (he makes it look so short)
View of the back of the cabin from it's adjoining parking lot.

The morning of New Year's, we all headed over the the Inn to eat some hearty breakfast and see the beauty of the 1915 icon.
 The Inn! Absolutely love it. It's complete with several ballrooms, hotel rooms, a dining room, and a gift shop. I can see why people get married here!
 Amy at breakfast, with the mountains out the window.
 Happy New Year!
The group. 
In front of the HUGE fireplace in the dining room.
 What you couldn't see above our heads! So amazing.
Brian and I.
Amy and I in front of the beautiful fire place.

After breakfast, we spent the afternoon walking around outside and enjoying the fresh air and beautiful views. The air seemed to crisp and fresh! After another night in the cottage, we woke up to a frozen lake and snow!

 Brian and Mike enjoying the scenery from our front porch.
 Frozen lake with snow on top!
Snowy paths.
View of the lake from the Lodge.

It was an amazing New Year's Eve, and we have all vowed to make this a tradition. It's nice to get out of the city (especially on NYE). For the location and price, we might even be back here for the summer! Cheers to 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment