Saturday, March 26, 2011

I'm Back!

I know it's been a while; these past few weeks have been BUSY.

I'll be posting on Scotland and England later, for now here's some recent updates:

My favorite time of day - morning Bronx!

My friend from high school, Emily, flew out from San Diego to visit me this past week! Her sister Elizabeth also took the train down from Bard College to stay with us.

We had a great time just catching up, as well as doing some things around the city. On Monday I took Emily and Elizabeth for dinner at Pugsleys. Sal was working, so we got to chat with him for a bit. He treated us to a free dessert of Sicilian Kisses. It's the newest thing at Pugsleys and completely amazing! Essentially, Sal cuts a warm zeppole in half, puts some Nutella on top and then sprinkles on powdered sugar. One of my new favorites.

After Pugsleys, I took them over to Palombo's for dessert. We all ordered yummy Italian goodies (rainbow cookies for me!) and sat down with hot chocolate.

Tuesday I was busy with class, but went out to dinner with Emily on Arthur to a Japanese restaurant called Umai. Prices were good, but the rolls were a bit small. They gave us a free dessert of deep fried Oreos. Oreos in a Japanese restaurant?  Kind of strange, but they were tasty!

On Wednesday I put on my 'casual business attire' and took a RamVan into the city with a group of Fordham students for a Career View at Sterling Publishing. That was an amazing experience.

Fordham's Career Services has connections with a dozen or so big companies in the city. About once a semester or once a year these companies will open their doors to Fordham and host a Career View event. All students interested RSVP to the event and are then shuttled to the company offices by the RamVan, for free.

Sterling definitely outdid themselves. We arrived to smiling employees who offered us cookies and fruit before ushering us into their conference room. We all received free goodie bags with a couple recently published books, as well as a pamphlet outlining how the publishing industry works and what each job within the company is.

We then sat through a 2 1/2 hour presentation, which literally flew by. It began with the President of Sterling Publishing speaking to us about his company and what it stood for. About 15 employees, from all different departments, then spoke to us about how they made it to Sterling, what their job was and what tips they had for us for breaking into the industry. It was so informative and incredibly helpful in discovering what the publishing industry really is like.

After we left, I returned home to an email from the HR department at Sterling, thanking me for coming, as well as listing all of the employees names and emails, including the President's! They encouraged us to keep in contact and add them all to our networks on LinkedIn. I plan on emailing all of the employees that spoke at the event, to thank them personally for taking time out of their day to do the event.

Thanks to this event, I now know that I am definitely interested in the publishing industry. Also, it gave me a solid 15 new contacts to network with! Next month I'm attending the Random House Publishing event and am hoping that will be just as amazing.

Anyways, on Wednesday evening Emily and I went to Grimaldi's Pizzaria in Brooklyn, which was delicious, as always.
Walking to Grimaldi's, which is right under the Brooklyn Bridge. 
Mmmmm! We got a white pizza. SO GOOD. 
(Sorry to torture you, Bret!)

On our way to Grimaldi's it had been hailing and was quite cold out. When we stepped out of the restaurant around 9 pm, it was snowing! There was also thunder and lightning! 
Emily freezing in the snow thunderstorm. 

The next morning when we woke up, this is what we saw:
 About 2 inches of snow on the ground! In late March!
Springtime in the Bronx. 

We trekked through the cold downtown to Chelsea, where I showed Emily and Elizabeth the High Line. We had the entire place to ourselves! I guess no one wanted to walk around in the cold and snow. 
 The High Line!
 Deserted. 
 Some signs of spring!
 Hanging out. 
Snow. 

From the High Line we made our way over the the Lower East Side to check out a cafe that I'd been eyeing. It's called Teany and was opened by Moby in 2002. The obvious focus of the cafe is tea, but they have delicious sandwiches, soups, desserts and other drinks as well. Everything is vegetarian or vegan, but you wouldn't know it from the taste. Check out the menu, here.  
 Teany!
 Emily in Teany. 
I loved the inside - everything was so bright and airy, with very simple decor.
 Elizabeth and I. 
Pretty flowers on every table. 

I ordered an iced lavender lemonade, which was delicious. For lunch I tried the mediterranean baguette...mmmm. Finally, I ended my meal with a vegan chocolate chip cookie that really was better than any milk and eggs chocolate chip cookie! 
I was completely full after this meal, but didn't feel 
gross - everything was so fresh and light!
Teany's outside seating. Definitely coming back in the warmer weather!

After Teany we walked right over to the Tenement Museum to do some tourist shopping in their store. From there, we headed back uptown so I could make it to my 4 pm class.

Beautiful subway art at Delancey St. Though of you, Poppi!

On Friday I had class until 2:15, so we didn't head into the city until later. We went to Brother Jimmy's Barbeque, one of Lindsay and I's favorite spots. We've made friends with one of the workers there and she always gives us special discounts. Although the place is cheap anyways - if you sit at the bar from 4-7 you can get half priced appetizers, along with drink specials! 
 With Linds and Emily. 

We always get the nachos when we go, they're the best nachos I've ever had! They come with Bro J's special barbeque beans, chili, cheese, sour cream, salsa and guacamole. This time around we also tried the pulled pork quesadilla...mmmm! The drink served in the fishbowl is called Swamp Water! You get to keep the alligator when you're finished. 
Em enjoying the food. 

After we ate, we headed back to the Bronx to hang out. Unfortunately Emily and her sister left this morning. We had a great time though!

And this Thursday I'll be pumping up the air mattress again to host Bretty Boy for a long weekend. Cheers to more city adventuring and good eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment