Sunday, January 30, 2011

Classes Cancelled!

Wednesday morning we were hit with a snowstorm!

 This was in the morning when the path is still somewhat clear; 
snow wasn't coming down too hard (yet).
 Snowing!
 More snowing!
And here is the snowstorm! 

Night classes were cancelled on Wednesday, as well as morning classes on Thursday. Although Mayor Bloomberg declared a state of emergency on Thursday, all NY public schools were closed, MTA buses were down and even NYU shut down, Fordham still held classes beginning after 11 am. I think they took their cue from Columbia, who also stayed open. 

Thursday morning I had to go into the city to pick up a wristband for a free Iron & Wine concert Friday at the Apple Store in SoHo. I was planning on taking the 7:46 am Metro North, but had trouble even leaving campus.
 Looking out my window first thing in the morning, 
I saw a partial snowman from the night before. 
 The snow piled up against the lobby glass. 
Where'd the steps go? You can still see the handrail though!
 So much snow!
Here you can really see how much we got! 

The Metro North was running on a Saturday schedule that morning, but I was lucky and managed to catch the 7:36. As the train slowly pulled into the station, it sent up soft puffs of snow on both sides. Quite a pretty sight. 

I finally made it to SoHo about an hour later, and emerged from underground to find the streets completely covered in snow. At 8:45 in the morning, no one had started working on clearing the streets yet. Everything was oddly quiet and not one taxi was in sight. 

Some people were out, trying to get to work, but not many. An employee in the Apple store told me that he had to be at work at 7:30 that morning. I don't know how he made it in!

After I got my wristband I headed back uptown to check out Central Park.
 At 5th and 59th.
He's not going anywhere!
Snow piled up. 
In the park.
Truly beautiful.
A man had brought his two gorgeous Alaskan Huskies 
to Central Park to play in the fresh snow. 
 My favorite picture of the park. 
My old Hearst lunch spot! 
Columbus Circle.
 Love the snow covered trees.
The bad part about all this snow: the mucky slush that accumulates on the 
sidewalks that you have to climb through to get anywhere. 
 From inside Columbus Circle.
 Back on campus Thursday afternoon. 
They'd gotten around to clearing some of the snow.
However, they somehow failed to clear the steps leading to the entrance of my dorm!
To get to Thursday afternoon classes students were literally climbing though all this snow!
My boots definitely took a beating.
Keating.

It's been a couple a days since the storm, but the snow is still piled up high as ever. They finally cleared a small path through the steps outside my dorm, but there's puddles everywhere. We're supposed to get another snowstorm this week, so maybe more classes cancelled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment