Saturday, April 9, 2011

Bret in the BX

After Bret left last week, I was trying to remember how many times he's come to visit me in the Bronx...and I think the number is somewhere near 8. That's a lot! Anyways, I realized that because we've done most of the standard tourist things in New York, we spend most of our time eating, walking around the city and just hanging out. Fine with me!

On Thursday he arrived early in the morning. He spent the day at the Yankees game, first one of the season! When he got back, he met me after class at Pugsleys, where we feasted on pizza, garlic knots and Sicilian kisses. 

On Friday I took him grocery shopping and then to class with me! I thought that he would enjoy my Sixties class with Professor Naison. Check out his Wikipedia page, here, or his blog, here. He is a great teacher and Bret had some free time that afternoon, so why not! 

After class on Friday we headed downtown to the Museum of Natural History. 

Love the subway art. 
We stopped by the Grand Canyon.
Found some gold in California.
Spotted a turtle in the rainforest!
I sat in a clam.
Bret with a whale. 
(Also, Grandpa, I'm pretty sure this is the museum where you
 fell asleep in your wheelchair as I pushed you around!)
Found Chad!
Then moved on to Switzerland. 
Bret headed towards Morocco.
Jesuits!
View of Central Park from the museum.
After the museum we walked a few blocks to Brother Jimmy's
on the West Side, where I introduced Bret to Nachos and pulled pork sandwiches. Mmmm!

After dinner at Bro J's, we took the subway downtown to see the Strokes at MSG!
 Our seats were a little far, but we still had a good view!
A disco ball! They had really really great special effects and lighting during the whole show.

Saturday I had work, so Bret spent the day wandering around the city. In the evening we went to see the Bronx River Rats, which is an on-campus performance put on by Professor Naison to raise money for the Bronx African American History Project. Naison began the show with a couple of his own raps before the River Rats started. One of Fordham's deans, Dean Latham, also sang a couple songs. Fordham's all-female Cappella group, the Satin Dolls, joined in as well. 
 Dean Latham leading the Bronx River Rats. 
Professor Naison rapping.
Sunday we went to the Yankee game!!!
I love this picture. Bret with all the girls. Liz, me, Court, Lisa and Lindsay.

It was a beautiful day for a game. 
Liz and Court. 
Linds and I.
Us four. We didn't all get seats together;
Joe, Matt, Lisa, Bret and Eileen were seated a row behind us.
Court and Liz eating nachos. 
Lindsay and I went up to find some lunch and I took a creeper picture
of Joe, Matt, Court and Liz. You can see how crowded it is too!


Aw. This one's getting framed!
With Lisa, Eileen and Lindsay. 
Joe, Matt, Lisa, Eileen and Linds.

After the game was over (they lost), Bret and I headed into the city for some dinner! I took him to a Thai place called Chef's Secret, near Grand Central. It was the first time that he'd had Thai food! I love it. 
We even ate with chopsticks! This is my Chicken Pad Thai, which is Thai noodles 
sauteed with chicken, egg, scallion, dried bean curd, crushed peanuts and bean sprouts. So good!
And so much food!
Bret with his Pad See Yue, which is noodles, beef, broccoli and egg.
After dinner we walked over to the Roosevelt Island Tram stop. 
Bret wanted to check it out - it's been renovated since he was last here. 


Great view from the tram! That's Roosevelt Island out there. 

We got off the tram and walked down to the water to check out the Manhattan skyline. 

On Monday we went out to dinner at Dominick's on Arthur Avenue. I'd never been there before, but Courtney and Liz both love it. At Dominick's there is a menu posted outside the restaurant, but none inside. You basically just chat with the waiter, tell him what you're feeling and ask him what he recommends. I ended up with broccoli and sausage ziti, which was delicious. Bret got a seafood pasta dish, which was also very good. 

After dinner we had dessert at a bakery on Arthur. I can't remember the name of it, but it wasn't Palombo's. 

Then, on Tuesday morning he headed out! Was definitely another fun trip! 

No comments:

Post a Comment