Friday, July 22, 2011

What is this, a cooking blog?

After eating essentially the same things for 2 months straight (eggs, PB&J sandwiches, my usual pasta concoctions, cereal...and more cereal) I've finally realized that I must branch out my cooking skills unless I want to cry into my cereal and pasta every day. Thanks to Google (try searching 'different ways to cook pasta' ha) I've scoped out several easy looking recipes and am looking forward to trying them out.

Tonight was homemade mac n cheese!

I almost died while cooking the pasta, due to it being 103 degrees out at 7 pm and my kitchen not being air conditioned, but I drank lots of iced water and somehow survived.


The ingredients. Flour, butter, cheese, pasta and milk. Easy!
 There was lots of whisking involved. 
 YUM. 
MORE YUM. 

It turned out great! Nice and cheesy and gooey. I used a four cheese Mexican blend, which gave the mac an interesting cheesy flavor, but I loved it. And it was so fast to make! Look ma, I'm cooking! 

Recipe:

- 1 to 1 1/2 cup dried noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese

Directions:

- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour for about 1 minute until roux (the butter flour blend?) starts to darken but not burn. 
- Quickly whisk in milk and turn heat down to low. Keep whisking until any lumps of flour dissolve. 
- Stir in cheese and once it melts add the cooked noodles

Also to note: today was 103 degrees (PLUS humidity) and I got to walk around on the pavement in my black suit and flats at 3 in the afternoon. Interview went great though! Crossing my fingers for this one, I love the company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment