Interning on Thursday was exciting because we were filming in the building. We were on the 29th floor and I was able observe the camera crew, product researchers, as well as the producer and producer's assistant. It was also a little torturous though because we were filming a cooking segment and I could smell the delicious dishes, but unlike at Martha, I never got to eat any of it. Anyways, near the end of the day the producer's assistant (my supervisor) told me that we needed to film someone in the next segment, and essentially volunteered me!
We headed to the lobby downstairs, where I sat at a table with the lights set up and the camera pointing at me. For about ten minutes the camera man shot me sipping on a Fuze drink while I talked to my supervisor. It was really relaxed and pretty funny. I'll let you know if after editing I end up on the show!
I also found out Thursday that the producer really liked a filming location that I had found, and we're now in the process of trying to book it! The spot is the entrance to Top of the Rock, at Rockefeller Center. (Go here to check it out!)
Thursday evening, around 6 pm when I was about to leave the office, it started thundering and lightening. Looking out the glass windows up on the 28th floor, it truly felt like we were inside the storm. I could see the lightening flash right outside the window, and the rain was so dense that I couldn't even see the street below.
I had to leave the office then though because I had plans to meet up at a bar where a friend of mine was bartending that night. Luckily, to get to the subway station I didn't even have to step out into the rain. I just walked out of the Hearst building and directly to my left. Underneath the overhang of the Hearst building is the subway entrance! So convenient.
I made it to the bar, Rathbones (88th St and 2nd Ave), where I met up with Courtney, Lindsay (my friend and old roommate), and Lindsay's boyfriend, John.
At the bar. Business casual after work! (Lindsay, Courtney, and I)
Friday I worked and had class, and spent the remainder of my afternoon at the post office on campus. In the beginning of the semester the post office gets completely swamped and the lines are ridiculous. (Thanks for the brownies Mom!)
Once back at the dorm, my friends and I had dinner and then got ready to head into the city for a girl's night out. All of us haven't had a chance to really catch up since being back at school, and there was a nice rooftop bar that we've been wanting to check out while the weather is still nice.
Courtney, Liz, Dani, Lisa, Eileen, and I took the train into the city and then walked to Sutton Place. It turned out to be really awesome! The view was only from five flights up, but it was a beautiful night to be outside - not too chilly yet.
Eileen, Dani, Liz, Courtney, Lisa, and I.
The rooftop of Sutton Place was pretty small and we talked to a lot of new people. I always like meeting people in New York because you never know who you're going to end up meeting and what their story is. I actually ended up talking to the owner of a nearby bar/lounge, who invited us all to come on over after we were done at Sutton Place.
We decided to, and walked the few blocks to Nikki Beach's. There was an enormous line snaking along the block, complete with velvet rope and bouncers. However, as we walked up we ran into the owner who we had just met. He ushered us past the line and into small foyer, complete with more bouncers and a guest list. From there, he waved us past those bouncers and right inside. VIP treatment!
The first room was an enormous bar. The next room was the lounge/dance area, complete with a catwalk down the middle of the room, and couches and tables along the walls. On the catwalk there was a woman playing an electric violin! Bizarre, but she was really incredible. After exploring the place, we hung out at Nikki B's for a while before deciding to grab the last Metro North back to the Bronx.
Saturday night was Cody's birthday celebration at a bar that I've had my eye on for a while. It's called the Frying Pan and is actually a salvaged lightship that was built in 1929. She's 133 feet and all her rooms are open for exploration. She's now docked just north of Chelsea Piers.
On board you have a terrific view of Manhattan, and even Jersey looks pretty sparkling across the Hudson. We bought some food and ate on deck, where a bunch of chairs and tables are spread out. There's even a stage set up at the front of the boat, where there was a band playing.
After eating, we walked up to the top deck, which is a bit quieter and has truly beautiful views of the city and Hudson. You'd forget that you were on a boat, except for the occasional rocking. On our way back down from up top, I ran into the owner of Nikki B's, who I had met last night on the other side of Manhattan! Millions of people and thousands of bars, NYC really isn't so big after all.
After eating, we walked up to the top deck, which is a bit quieter and has truly beautiful views of the city and Hudson. You'd forget that you were on a boat, except for the occasional rocking. On our way back down from up top, I ran into the owner of Nikki B's, who I had met last night on the other side of Manhattan! Millions of people and thousands of bars, NYC really isn't so big after all.
Me, Cody, Amy, and Courtney on the top deck, with Manhattan behind us.
Anyways, we spent the rest of the night exploring the ship, going down under the deck. There are random rooms where people were just hanging out and mingling. One of the larger rooms is converted into a dance area, music blasting and everything.
Dance party!
Cody and friends inside the ship. You can see how rusty everything is. After being sunken for three years, they cleaned out the silt and barnacles, but not much else.
After exploring the entire place, we decided to head back up to Lincoln Center. We took a cab partway there and walked the last few blocks. During those blocks a friend of mine from Fordham spotted us through a bar window and came running out! This city is so small! I always see someone I know!
So, the weekend was fun, but I had to spend all day Sunday in the library catching up on homework. I'm looking forward to this week though because there's going to be more filming at GH, this weekend is Fordham's President Ball, Homecoming, and there's more than one guest lecture at Fordham that I want to check out.
No comments:
Post a Comment