Friday, November 5, 2010

Bret Back in the NYC

Friday - Wednesday = busy busy BUSY!

In between classes, work and interning, Bret and I ran around the city exploring and eating.

 Saturday morning we took the RamVan into the city and came upon a movie being filmed in Columbus Circle.
 After we watched them shoot a high speed car chase, I asked a Production Assistant what movie they were filming. She told me the name was Tower Heist, with Ben Stiller as the main character. I'll have to watch that one when it comes out!
 We continued on our way to Central Park, where all the leaves were still in the midst of changing colors. 


Saturday was the Pumpkin Festival in Central Park! 

The Pumpkin Festival is a yearly celebration that consists of a haunted house, a scarecrow competition, a pumpkin patch, lots of arts and crafts, hay rides, face painting, greenmarket vendors and live entertainment - all free. Bret and I didn't participate in any of the activities, but we enjoyed walking around and looking at all the costumes. Every kid was dressed up and excited for Halloween, and most parents had coordinating costumes. I think the best one we saw was a dad dressed as a huge egg, with his tiny son as a baby dinosaur. So adorable!

After throughly exploring the Pumpkin Festival, we headed downtown to SoHo for an early dinner at Cafe Select, one of the only Swiss restaurants in the entire five boroughs. Bret got the bratwurst with rosti and I got the mushroom and swiss omelette with rosti. Mmmmmmm. Unfortunately, we were both too full for our usual Toblerone Mousse dessert. 

Sunday we woke up and headed into the city to catch a movie at the AMC in Times Square. We got there early and decided to wander over to Bryant Park to hang out until the movie started. When we got to Bryant Park however, we discovered a street fair down 6th Ave! 
It went all the way to 34th Street - lots of jewelry, scarves, clothes, posters, purses, food, and other miscellaneous things for sale in booths set up on both sides of the street. 
Love the bright colors painted on this building. 
Also, the Empire State Building sneaking in the background. 

After wandering the entirety of the street fair, we made our way back to Times Square to see Wall Street Two: Money Never Sleeps. I had witnessed them filming Michael Douglas and Shia LeBeouf for a few scenes at Fordham and it was cool to see the final product on the big screen. Keating and Eddie's are so photogenic! I noticed that during the movie Shia LeBeouf had a short and completely irrelevant line thrown in about how he had received a scholarship to Fordham, one of the best business schools in the nation...I wonder if that line was part of the deal for allowing them to film on campus, or just an appreciative gesture on the production end. 
Michael Douglas and Shia LeBeouf walking down the steps of Keating. 

After the movie ended, we decided to head to Brooklyn for dinner at Grimaldi's Pizzeria. What a good decision! The line was only about 15 minutes long and soon we were digging into some of the most delicious pepperoni pizza I've ever had. 
Coal-fired brick oven cookin'!

Right down the street from Grimaldi's is the newly opened Brooklyn Bridge Park, which I love. It's right on the water and has beautiful views of the skyline, Governor's Island, and the Statue of Liberty. 
 At sunset. 
I love all the tables everywhere too...if it wasn't so cold it would have been nice to order pizza to go at Grimaldi's and then eat it out here. 
 The park is on the left, lots of rolling grassy lawns and even a playground for kids.
 Statue of Liberty at sunset. 
 Looking back towards the Brooklyn Bridge. Grimaldi's is up the street on the right. 
Right under the BK Bridge is a little River Cafe that I want to check out! Looks pricey, but it'd be worth it for the view. 
 Bret, the BK Bridge and skyline. 
 That indented area between the buildings is called the Elevated Acre - a hidden serene getaway right near the hustle of Wall Street. Jess and I explored it earlier this year. 
Brrrr, 49 degrees out, not counting wind chill!

After dinner Bret and I decided to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to get back to Manhattan.
 Cold and dark out! There was maybe ten other people on the bridge with us.
Happy Halloween!

On Monday I had class and then Good Housekeeping, so Bret headed into the city alone in the morning. However, around 1 pm I had to go to the IKEA in Red Hook, Brooklyn to purchase some props for Good Housekeeping. I called up Bret and we met at 34th St and Broadway to take the subway there together. He had lunch in the IKEA cafeteria while I shopped. The IKEA is right on the water, so we decided to take the free ferry back to Manhattan.
 Hanging out at the tables behind IKEA while waiting for the ferry.
 View of the Statue of Liberty from the ferry.
View of the skyline on our way to Pier 11. 
Our ferry route, courtesy of the IKEA website.
Once back on the island, Bret headed towards the Elevated Acre while I caught the subway uptown. Wall Street, rush hour, with a big IKEA bag = no fun. 

After I got out of Good Housekeeping, I met up with Bret at Serendipity for dinner! Mmmmm. 
 Some sort of shrimp sandwich on Irish bread. 
 My chicken "salad," which consisted mostly of chicken.
Our desserts - standard Frozen Hot Chocolate! 
We literally rolled out of the restaurant we were so full.

Tuesday we ventured into Hoboken, New Jersey to visit the Cake Boss! There was about a twenty minute wait to get in, and the place was crazy inside. We managed to order some Rainbow Cookies and Cannolis before squeezing out the door. 
 Carlo's Bake Shop!
 Inside - some awards and newspaper clippings about the bakery.
 Mauro came downstairs for a few minutes! My number was called right when he came down so I didn't manage to get a picture of his face. 
 Outside. 
Buddy even got the street named after his shop.
 Hmmmm, not so much love at first bite. 
Looks delicious, but really not that impressive. 
Palombo's Bakery in Little Italy in the Bronx is much more tasty. 
Good to know I don't have to go all the way to Hoboken to pick up some good rainbow cookies!

Bret left on Wednesday morning, early in the AM. Thanks for flying out for the visit, and I'll see you again at Christmas, brotha!

No comments:

Post a Comment