Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New York City Marathon!

I ran it...not. Maybe if I start training now I can run it in about 5 years. It was fun to watch though!


My roommate Dani and I woke up early on Sunday morning to catch a RamVan into the city. Once at Lincoln Center, we walked down 60th St to the Starbucks at Columbus Circle. Hello eggnog latte and pumpkin bread! Breakfast of champions (thanks for the Sbx card Chad and Jess!)


From Starbucks, we had to navigate through all the metal barriers set up along the streets. We eventually made it to a spot along Central Park at the 1/2 mile to go point in the race.
We first watched the wheelchair and handcycle racers speed by on their wheels.
When we heard the drone of helicopters, we knew that the women were coming in.
Helicopter overhead.
Truck with the race time displayed.
 Fastest woman!
Aaaand there she goes!
Edna Kiplagat from Kenya, finishing in 2:28:20.
 First man! Gebre Gebmrariam from Ethiopia. 
He finished in 2:08:14. 
 First Swiss guy I saw!
 Classic shirt.
 Dani and I spotted a Fordham runner! 
No idea who he is but he had a Fordham shirt on.
 No one that we saw wore any crazy costumes expect for this one, dressed as Minnie.
Maybe the racers later in the marathon had more fun with outfits, but since we only stayed for a couple hours I think we only witnessed all the serious racers. 
More Swiss! And more runners coming in. 
Dani and I, freezing after standing still in the shade for 2 1/2 hours.
 Live music! They had several bands set up along the course. 
Lots of Bruce Springsteen and old school rock being played. 
 Some serious CH fans. 
 View of all the people against the barriers, watching the racers come in. 
Columbus Circle. It's hard to tell, but there's a big screen set up near the tree. 
The end of the race was just inside Central Park; we could hear a guy on a mike announcing results. 

Dani and I wanted to stay until we saw Jared from Subway, but we figured he wouldn't be rolling in until a few hours later. His people were everywhere though - passing out pictures of him, coupons for Subway, and these obnoxious yellow inflated tubes that people were banging together to cheer with.  

I really enjoyed watching all the racers. The serious contenders had jerseys stating where they were from and what their names were, and lots of other people had shirts with their names and countries on them. There were quite a few Kenyans, Italians, French, Canadian, and British runners. Bret, I saw two Moroccans! And Chad and Jess, I've decided that you need to register for the 2011 NYC Marathon so I can have someone to cheer for. It'd be fun! I was in the city on Monday and I saw at least a dozen people walking around wearing their medals. That could be you!

No comments:

Post a Comment