Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Oahu, Hawaii!

I know it's been a while waiting on the Hawaii post, but there were hundreds of pictures that I had to sort through, between my camera, my mom's and my dad's. So, here they are!

The last week of Christmas break I was lucky enough to fly out to Oahu with my parents to spend time swimming, ziplining, snorkeling, hiking and seeing all the sights in beautiful Hawaii.
The islands!
 My surprise lei at the airport!
 View from our hotel - you can see Diamond Head! 
 View.
 Madre and I enjoying the view (and the weather).
 Bedroom with a great view. 
 In front of the hotel, only a few blocks away from the beach.
 Waikiki!
Waikiki. Love all the tiki lights!
 Our first sunset.
So many surfboards. 
 Spotted a submarine.
At the Blowhole. 
Turtle!
We spotted this mountain from a viewpoint near Hanauma Bay. 
After closer inspection, we saw that there was a nearly vertical trail up its south side.
Let's go!
 At the base.
 Scary bridge! Wish I had some handrails for this part.
 Poppi being cool.
We made it!
Amazing view! That's Hanauma Bay down there. 
We saw whales breaching!
So National Geographic. 

The hike was really strenuous, but worth it. Going down wasn't half bad, except we got caught in a rainstorm and ended up looking like we just got out of the shower. 
Almost to the bottom. Even madre made it up partway!

After I got home I found out that we had hiked Koko Head, which consists of 1,100 steps! No wonder my legs hurt the next day. From the pictures you can see that it looks like the steps are actually an old railroad. It was once used to transport men and supplies to the top of Koko Head, which served as a lookout station during World War II. I'd definitely recommend this hike!
Another beautiful Hawaiian sunset. 
 Dinner at Cheeseburgers in Paradise!
You get to keep the Pineapple and bring it back for free refills.
Madre in the restaurant. 
We moved to another hotel, closer to the beach,
with a room on the 25th floorthat overlooked Waikiki. 
 Looking down on the pool
Madre with the view.
With my lei and the view. 
 Going to the North Shore.
 Pipeline!


 Pictures courtesy of Poppi.

Professional photographer. 
Looks like fun!
At Turtle Bay.
Poppi and I snorkeling at Turtle Bay.
Poppi and I sleeping at Turtle Bay.


Why'd the chicken cross the road...
 Windyyy.
Reallyyy windyyy.
National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.
Or, as Grandpa says, that big ol' cemetery with the view!
 Windy up there too.
View.
 At Pearl Harbor.

 Poppi and I playing on old war guns.
Half mast for Senator Gabrielle Giffords.
Unfortunately we couldn't actually make it out to 
the memorial because of high winds. 


Leaving. They just finished renovating the entire Memorial; 
we thoroughly enjoyed it. 

 Stopped by BYU Hawaii to visit my high school friend, Brittany!
 Brittany and I.
 Then had lunch at Gionvanni's.
I don't even like shrimp and I ate some of these. Mmm.
The shrimp truck!
 Getting ready to hike Diamond Head!
 Part of the hike.
Madre hiking.
Tunnel.
 Intense stairs.
 At the top! With Waikiki behind.
 Poppi at the top.

Poppi and madre.
 Such a beautiful day.
 Back at the bottom!

 After hiking Diamond Head, we headed over to Hanauma Bay.
So beautiful!
 Pretty coral. Great snorkeling.
Beautiful beach. 


We stayed until the sun set. 
 Madre got a picture of one Mongoose that we saw
running around Hanauma Bay!
After the bay, we headed over to our Zipline. 
 Poppi ziplining!
Haha.
 Last night at the Waikiki Beach.
 View of Diamond Head from the airplane.
 Bye bye, Hawaii!
Back in LA, getting ready to drive back down to SD. 

Less than 24 hours later I left for New York. I arrived a bit tanner and a lot colder! Hawaii was fun though! Muchos gracias madre y padre!

No comments:

Post a Comment